Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Peach cobbler





At some point on Sunday while hubby and I were working in the basement (or watching Ben work anyway) the peach fairy came to our house. I walked outside and there was a bag sitting on our porch full of gorgeous peaches. I have to assume that this was the work of my wonderful neighbors once again. Can I just tell you that I absolutely heart our neighbors! We have only been in our house since May and they have been nothing but wonderful to us. Giving us zucchini and banana peppers from their garden, helping us out when our drain tile was being replaced, offering to go and get us mulch with the dump truck..... they are honest to goodness the type of neighbors that everyone would love to have.
So what is a girl to do when a bag full of peaches a dropped on your doorstep - make peach cobbler of course.
I have never had peach cobbler so I am not sure if this is what it is supposed to taste like but I will have to guess not. It was a tad bit too runny (which I am pretty sure is my fault) and just not as sweet as I thought it would be. I used Paula Deen's recipe and she has not let me down before so I will take full responsibility for this not being a smashing success.
I did not have a 3 qt dish and I didn't really think that hubby and I needed that much cobbler around so I decided to halve the recipe. Well partly - I left the peach mixture the way it was written and then halved the crust part of it. I believe that my problem came from the flour. I did not have any self rising flour so I added baking powder -which in case you ever wanted to know there is to add 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt to 1 cup of flour.
Looking back however I do believe that I did not add enough baking powder and forgot the salt all together. I only added enough baking powder for 1/2 cup of flour rather than the 3/4 cup that I used. Ahhh well - live and learn. The cobbler was still good just not great.

No comments: