Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Apple pie



Since my hubby has my camera for band camp this week and I can not post the very few yummies I have made lately I figured that now was the perfect time to get caught up on all of the things that I have failed to post!
I made this pie forever ago and for one reason or another just never got around to posting - laziness I am sure had something to do with it!
To be completely honest this was my 2nd attempt at an apple pie - the first one was a disaster! It tasted - ok but had a terrible consistency - runny just, yeah - not a keeper lets put it that way. So since I had recently taken a trip to the apple orchard and had apples coming out of my ears I simply tossed the first and tried again. This one was oh so yummy! The ginger lent a very nice element that was slightly different than your typical apple pie.
I am honestly not sure where I got the recipes from after all this time but I did a mix of a few different to come up with".

Homemade apple pie

Pie crust
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
6 ounces butter (1 1/2 sticks), chilled and diced
5 or 6 tbsp of cold water

Apple filling

Filling
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
3 tbs all purpose flour
2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
4 cups thinly sliced pared apples
1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 12/ tbs corn starch – I added this due to the soup like filling of the first attempt
1 tbsp butter or margarine

directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss well to coat.

2. sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and cut the butter into the flour or rub it in with your fingertips until it becomes crumb-like. Sprinkle in 5 tbsp of water over the mixture. With a fork, toss gently to mix and moisten it. Press the dough into a ball. If it is too dry to form a dough add the remaining water. Divide the dough in half and wrap the balls of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour. No skimping - this will chill your butter and relax the gluten in the flour.
* also remember that you want really cold ingredients for a nice flaky crust - make sure your butter is cold and use ice water as well!

3. While the your dough is getting good and cold preheat oven to 375

4. Turn one disc of dough (leave the other in the fridge) onto a floured work surface and roll the pastry into a 12 inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Fold the dough (carefully) in half and gently transfer to a 9-in pie plate. Brush off any excess flour.

5. Roll out your second disc of dough into another 12 inch circle - now here you have some decisions to make. How are you going to decorate your top crust. The options are endless, lattice top, slap it on there and poke 3 air slits (gotta let the steam out), make those air holes using cookie cutters, or will you be cool like me and use a lattice pie top cutter - hey it was a wedding gift what can I say and turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself!

6. Once you have taken care of the top crust throw the yummy filling into the bottom crust and then top. Make sure to trim the excess and seal your edges. Brush the egg wash on the crust and sprinkle with sugar.

7. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and the fruit is tender.

No comments: