Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Zucchini Chocolate chip muffins

We had a birthday at lunch today so I thought it would be perfect time to use up the zucchini I had in the fridge. I doubled this recipe because I wanted a few for home plus to take a small house-warming gift to our new neighbors who happen to be my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. These are so yummy - very moist! Sorry the pictures of these are horrible!


I found this recipe on line some place (In the kitchen or something like that)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil (I use soy or canola)
1 egg
1 cup shredded zucchini (peeled)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan (or two 6-cup pans) with muffin paper liners. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. In another bowl mix together sugars, oil, egg and shredded zucchini. Add this zucchini mix to the flour mixture. Combine until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick tester comes clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.

modifications - For starters I doubled the recipe as noted above. I also omitted the walnuts and added vanilla (1/4 tsp - if only making one batch). I also wanted some sugar on top so I brushed on an egg wash and sprinkled with sugar. These also took a lot longer to bake than the recipe said - took mine just about 26 minutes.
Very very yummy!!!

No comments: