Monday, September 10, 2007

Potato Soup

I took Friday off to do some cleaning and get our fall decorations out to be all festive for our party on Sunday. After playing with fall decor all afternoon I had a craving for some soup so I decided to throw together some potato soup!
So that is what I did - I literally just threw in what I thought would be good and what I had since I was too lazy to go to the store and it turned out pretty darn good! Steve tried some after work and was impressed with my little concoction =)

Again this is somewhat approximate.

2 decent size red potatoes cleaned and cubed
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
2 - 3 basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can full of chicken stock
3/4 cup shredded cheese - I used 1/2 cup Mexican blend and 1/4 cheddar - just b/c that is what I had
1/4 cup sour cream
bacon bits
pepper to taste

Melt butter in olive oil (helps to keep butter from burning) then add potatoes.
Let sweat for about 10 minutes then add garlic and allow to sweat about another 5 minutes. Add basil and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
Add one can of cream of mushroom soup along with a can full of chicken stock (this is what I did but I think if I made it again I would do 1/2 can chicken broth and 1/2 water because it turned out a little salty)
Let simmer for 10 minutes
add cheese and bacon bits and simmer until melted
add sour cream right before taking it off the heat stir through and serve.

No comments: